East Bay Bristol County Lacrosse Association
March 14, 2011
7pm, East Bay Newspapers, Bristol
In attendance: Peter Ramsden, Michael Curry, Michael Payton, Ted Broomhead, John Gaffney, Molly Lacerte, Dee Walton
Absent: Matt Hayes
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 pm
Approval of Last Meeting Minutes
Michael Curry made a motion to approve the February 16th meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Michael Payton and passed by a unanimous vote.
Treasurer’s Report – John Gaffney
· John and Dee are catching up on registration activity
· Books are balanced through February 2011
· March receipts are down compared to last year.
o The bulk of registrations came in earlier this year than previous years
o The program was basically full by the end of February with registration revenue coming in as early as December 2010.
o Believe that the late fee has deterred late registrations.
o Have not collected competitive team fees yet. They were collected in March of 2010 for last season.
· Overall registration activity for the 2011 is on budget.
· A profit and loss statement for January and February 2011 was distributed showing that overall activity is comparable to last year.
Coaching Update – Ted Broomhead, Michael Curry
Girls’ Program – Ted Broomhead
· Lady Sharks – have the coaches we need
· Girls’ 1/2 – Have all 3 required head coaches but need 2 more assistants. Ted is confident the heads will be able to recruit parents to help once the teams are assigned
· Girls’ 3/4 – Have all 3 head coaches and assistants
· Girls’ 5/6 Competitive – Coaching staff in place
· Girls’ 5/6 Recreational – Have 2 experienced assistants available but no confirmed head coaches. The daughters of most of the experienced coaches made the competitive team leaving vacancies for the recreational teams. Email solicitations have gone out to the parents asking for volunteers with individual pleas sent to 6. Ted is confident that the availability of qualified assistants will help with recruiting and that coaching will be in place in the next week or so.
· Girls’ 7/8 Competitive – Coaching staff in place
· Girls’ 7/8 Recreational – Have the head coaches needed, still need assistants
Boys’ Program – Michael Curry
· Sharks – have the coaches we need
· Boys’ 1/2 – Have the 4 Head coaches in place, still need confirmation from the 4 assistants
· Boys’ 3/4 – Have 4 Head coaches in place with the 5th still questionable. Have all 5 assistants
· Boys’ 5/6 Competitive – Coaching staff in place
· Boys’ 5/6 Recreational – Need 2 Head coaches and 2 assistants. Michael has 2 potential candidates he is talking to. A 3rd strong candidate was suggested at the meeting with Peter offering to contact him. Email solicitations have gone out to the parents asking for volunteers.
· Boys’ 7/8 Competitive – Coaching staff in place
· Boys’ 7/8 Recreational – 2 Head coaches in place, just need one more assistant.
· There are 3-4 high school players will to assist in some capacity. They will be filled in where possible with little commitment given the overlap of EBBCLA practices with the high school practices.
There are a total of 19 new coaches this year between the Girls and Boys programs. The candidates were discussed. Ted Broomhead made a motion to approve the new coaches listed pending a background check. The motion was seconded by Michael Curry and passed by a unanimous vote.
Practice Grid – Peter Ramsden
· Do not have as much space available in Bristol as we had planned. But will still try to get space on Monday and Thursday
· Try to get field space in Warren – Kickemuit Middle School was suggested
· If we need the space, we will use Haines Park again despite serious concerns about mowing
· Will combine Boys’ 5/6 Rec practices and 7/8 Rec practices to save space
· After discussion, Peter will re-work the practice grid and submit to the board electronically
Equipment – Dee Walton
· The coaches’ bags are ready and all equipment needed is either ready or on order
· Bought some new nets and have a high school volunteer to put them on
· Discussion and approval to purchase an additional field lining machine so we have one available for Sowams and one available for St. Andrews.
Sponsorship – Michael Payton
· Michael Payton thanked Dee for her hard work and support putting the packages together
· Have our first sponsor ready to sign – Verizon at the old Copper Level
· Proposal is under consideration at several local businesses
· Michael will be the main point of contact to prevent overlap of solicitations. We should keep him updated with all activity.
· Peter has been actively soliciting sponsors.
Molly Lacerte made a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was seconded by Peter Ramsden and after a unanimous vote, the meeting was adjourned at 9:20pm.
The next meeting is scheduled for 4/11/11 at the Barrington Public Library, 7pm. Given this is the first scheduled day of practice, that date will be confirmed by the group as it approaches.