East Bay Bristol County Lacrosse Association
January 4, 2012
7:00 p.m., Barrington Public Library
In attendance: Peter Ramsden, Molly Lacerte, Julie Gaffney, Dee Walton, Brad Vaughn, Mel Bride, Erica Faulkner, Nina Robertson
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m.
First order of business to welcome Erica Faulkner as the new member-at-large.
Approval of Minutes from November meeting
With one edit to be made, minutes from the November meeting were approved. Molly Lacerte made a motion to approve the minutes. Motion was seconded by Mel Bride and passed by a unanimous vote.
Dee Walton reported that registration for East Bay programs had opened December 18th. Seems to be running smoothly so far with no major glitches or surprises.
Treasurer’s Report - Peter Ramsden for John Gaffney
• Based on last year’s numbers, projected estimates for this year are 252 girls, 258 boys.
• Projected gross revenue for 2012 is approximately $35,000
• Revenue model presented for 5th-8th grade girls with a total of 120 girls included in model. Fees outlined for various 5/6 & 7/8 team options - BMS, East Bay, NESLL.
• We are projecting a budget increase of approximately $7,000 for 2012, with the BMS program alone costing close to $10,000. Also anticipating more reffing from RIYLL which will increase referee expenses.
• As a nonprofit we have generated $4,000-$5,000 in surplus which we can justify since cannot anticipate all of our costs.
• We may be able to lower fees in the future, but at this point still need to cover our margin of error.
• Is a tricky year to predict costs with the BMS merger and not knowing all costs involved.
• Dee Walton to change her projection fees to match up with Peter’s for next meeting.
Julie Gaffney made a motion to approve the 2012 budget. Brad Vaughn seconded and the motion was passed by a unanimous vote.
• Dee Walton gave overview of Positive Coaching Alliance program which EBBCLA is associated with this year. It focuses on how to coach children and parents and establishing a positive coaching culture.
• PCA event for coaches to be held Sunday, March 18th from 10:00-12:00. Coaches’ bags will probably be distributed at same time. Sherwood informally chosen as venue - Dee to confirm.
• Through association with PCA we are entitled to three courses. Can roll one over to next year. Thinking of doing two coaching clinics and one student-athlete course. Could possibly make it a mandatory pre-season meeting for players. Dee to talk to BMS about scheduling.
• Checked in with Molly and Brad about coach recruiting. Response limited so far. Dee to send additional emails to parents with coaching clinic information.
• Peter suggested holding another coaching information night for interested parents.
• Boys’ coaching clinic scheduled for January 22nd at Bryant College presented as possible opportunity for East Bay Boys’ coaches.
Peter Ramsden made a motion to approve the Bryant coaching clinic for Boys’ coaches. Motion seconded by Molly Lacerte and approved by a unanimous vote.
• Julie Gaffney and Mel Bride to attend girls’ middle school game schedule meeting at Moses Brown on February 16th. Need to confirm date and time of field use meeting.
• Dee Walton to look for indoor space at Sherwood for additional boys’ tryout and possible pre-season clinics.
• Dee Walton brought up topic of Youth Injury Prevention Program and Workshop to be set up by physical therapist Dan Bien and Dr. Peter Kriz. Workshop would preferably take place on a Monday night, dates suggested are March 5th or 19th. Dee to follow up with Dan and Peter about dates.
• First day of lacrosse practices scheduled for Monday, April 9th, first game April 14th, last game June 2nd.
• Topic of summer tournaments brought up. Discussed whether East Bay should form girls’ 5/6 and 7/8 teams for June/July tournaments. Mel Bride to research tournament options which would not conflict with tournaments NEU teams entered in. EBBCLA will then forward information to parents.
Molly Lacerte made a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was seconded by Julie Gaffney and after a unanimous vote, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
The next meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at the Barrington Public Library.
EBBCLA Secretary, 2012