East Bay Bristol County Lacrosse Association
March 7, 2012
7:00 p.m., St. Luke’s Church
In attendance: Peter Ramsden, Molly Lacerte, John Gaffney, Julie Gaffney, Dee Walton, Brad Vaughan, Mel Bride, Erica Faulkner, Mike Curry, Nina Robertson
The meeting was called to order at 7:20 p.m.
Approval of Minutes from February meeting
Molly Lacerte made a motion to approve the minutes. Motion was seconded by Mel Bride and passed by a unanimous vote.
Treasurer’s Report - John Gaffney
• Based on current numbers, we are $5,000 off of where we were last year at this time. Budget had anticipated higher number of registered players. Need to revisit numbers after all registration fees computed.
• Discussed topic of BMS bank account, which has existed in the past for the girls’ program, but which ultimately will be closed out since EBBCLA has taken program over.
• Dee Walton gave update on registration numbers to date. Boys’ numbers are on track, Girls’ numbers are down from projection. Not as many girls are doing both BMS and EBBLA as anticipated.
• We have submitted team counts to RIYLL.
• Peter Ramsden reported on Field Meeting he attended with Mike Curry. Only real problem was negotiating compromise on time for Post Office field with Ultimate Frisbee group. Agreed on 5:15 start for practices scheduled there.
• Dee needs to submit line specifications for boys’ and girls’ fields. Going to simplify and combine onto one sheet instead of working off of two separate sheets which we’ve done in past.
• Dee to check in with George Finn on line completion for fields.
• We have secured the lower field at St. Andrew’s for practices Mon. - Fri. Patrick Meehan is our St. Andrew’s contact.
• Regarding completion of the practice grid, we have less teams to accommodate than last year, which is helpful with the limited field space.
• Positive Coaching Alliance - Coaches workshop scheduled for 3/18, 10:30-12:30; Middle School students’ workshop scheduled for 3/19 after school.
• Concussion clinic - having hard time finalizing a date and time. May or may not happen.
• Pre-season practices at Sherwood - Girls scheduled for 3/14 and 3/28. Boys scheduled for 3/21 and 3/28.
• Review and approval of coaches - most teams set, just need to fill a few gaps.
• Pairing new coaches with more experienced coaches in both boys’ and girls’ programs.
• Brad Vaughan to update Dee as new coaches added.
• Mike and Brad to do rounds and check up on new coaches, make sure everything going smoothly.
Julie Gaffney made a motion to approve the slate of coaches. Mel Bride seconded the motion and it was approved by a unanimous vote.
• Peter and Mike to finalize practice grid together.
• BMS Girls’ Program Update - 7/8 girls to be split into two teams (Blue & Gold).
Currently 1 coach short for 7/8. Lily Ricci working on getting another coach.
Barb Nozaki coaching 6th-grade team.
Mel Bride to check on BMS bag inventory.
• Rules meeting attended by Mel - new rule about checking through sphere. Going to be called much tighter.
• Need one referee with local rating at each game in order to play with full check, otherwise will be modified.
• 7/8 can be full check
• 5/6 will be modified
• Mel to get BMS schedule to Dee, Dee will post on website. Games scheduled to start April 13th.
• RIYLL games scheduled to start Saturday, April 7th, practices to start Monday, April 2nd. BMS practices will ideally start same week.
• EBBCLA shooting to inform parents about team assignments by March 23rd.
• BHS game dates held at BMS due to unplayable fields at BHS reviewed by Dee.
• As a result of field conflict, EBBCLA hoping to get field space at Kickemuit. Also looking into additional field space in Bristol and Warren.
• Conditioning Program - Trish MacGillivray to provide EBBCLA with 2 Phases. 1st Phase will train the coaches, 2nd Phase will develop age-appropriate programs for coaches to access via hand-outs and online.
• Molly to confirm rates and contract with Trish.
Mike Curry made a motion to approve the conditioning program. Brad Vaughan seconded the motion, and it was passed by a unanimous vote.
• Rhode Island EMS/CPR and AED training reviewed. Peter brought up issues of liability regarding the AED program. Seems a lot to ask of our coaches when no other programs ask this of coaches. Consensus of board is to pass on this training.
• Brown Jamboree scheduled for 3/31. EBBCLA to get information out to parents and coaches.
Nina Robertson made a motion to adjourn, Peter Ramsden seconded the motion, and after a unanimous vote, the meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
The next meeting is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at Rhode Island Country Club.
EBBCLA Secretary, 2012